Choral Music Newsletter
Choral Music Newsletter August 2023
It’s that time of year again when some of you may be planning your next choral music season so here’s a short newsletter plus a link to a list of available compositions. You can download my choral catalogue here. Here is a link to my website for details on all scores.
If you’re considering commissioning a work see here: https://donmacdonaldmusic.com/commissions/
Here are a few things that may be of interest.
1. As “Composer in Residence” for Chor Leoni Men’s Choir I’ve written quite a few new works.
- The Grace of Light was premiered last year and is now being published by Cypress Publishing in TTBB, SATB, and SSA voicings.
- After the Last, performed at the annual Remembrance Day concert is to be published by ECS sometime later this year also in multiple voicings.
- A Fantasy of Carols – was premiered at the Christmas concert. For harp, piano, violin, and choir. It is available from me in SATB and TTBB voicings with our without harp.
- Dolcissima Mia Vita – premiered by Chor Leoni Last year will see its SATB premiere by the Vancouver Chamber Choir on Friday, September 22 at 7:30 pm at Pacific Spirit United Church.
Upcoming! Remembrance day premiere. A new 20 minute work titled High Flight will be premiered. It uses 6 poems by the Canadian WW2 pilot John Gillespie Magee Jr. culminating in his masterwork, High Flight. Written for cello, piano, and choir, it uses this young man’s poetry to trace his journey from the innocence of his home life to the harsh realities war. If you’re in Vancouver please come out and see this performance. It will be published in TTB and SATB voicings.
2. The Lost Words – I was fortunate to be among the ten Canadian composers commissioned by Elektra Women’s Choir to write two movements based on this fabulous book. My two movements, Raven and Wren, and the entire 20 movement work is being published by Cypress Publishing.
3. Welcome Somer – The Vocalis Chamber Choir commissioned this new work which celebrates the summer season in a jubilant and rhythmic choral fanfare. Available in multiple voicings.
4. Movers and Shakers – The Langley Fine Arts School Choir commissioned this new up-tempo work thatcombines the poetry from Arthur O’Shaughnessy’s famous Ode with poetry of my own.
6. See an extensive YouTube playlist here.